Post 1000: Roy Halladay  

Sunday, May 30, 2010

For only the 20th time in Major League history and the second time by a Phillies pitcher, a perfect game was pitched last night. I was skeptical of the trade that brought Halladay to Philly, especially given the cost (Cliff Lee). I would have loved to have been able to keep Cliff AND Roy, giving the Phils the ultimate 1-2 punch available in baseball today, much like the Arizona Diamondbacks had with Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson. Sadly, that was not to be.

Like Lee, Halladay made a believer out of me in pretty quick fashion. I'd love to see Lee make his way back into town, but for now, Halladay is the man. Last night, while I was working my weekend non-music job, I got word that Roy was perfect through seven innings, and immediately got the radio fired up. I monitored the game up to the bottom of the ninth, and everyone gathered around my car to catch the final inning.

Of course, the contributions of a great defensive unit can never be overlooked in a game such as this - and the Phillies lineup did NOT include Jimmy Rollins or Placido Polanco, two of their fine starting infielders. Depth is a great thing for a team to have, and this squad will be as formidable as any come playoff time.


Roy Halladay
Perfect Game
Saturday, May 29, 2010

photo: mlb.com


Congratulations to Roy and the Phightin' Phils. I guess you can all steal my fire from my 1,000th post. I'll hit on that milestone sometime soon.

In the meantime, everyone please have an amazing Memorial Day, and do not forget why we take this time out each year. It's as important now as ever.

RWR