St. Luke's is full of Shit  

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

St. Luke's Episcopal Health System has a unique commitment to patient care. As a faith-based, non-profit organization, St. Luke's believes that true healing involves the body, mind and spirit. Our approach goes beyond religion, focusing on the healing aspects of spirituality and based on deeply held trust, love, caring, compassion, and respect for well-being and life.
Somehow, given the situation involving Andrea Clark, I'm not inclined to buy this. Furthermore, in the comment areas over at RWN, I've seen at least one person post about a similar experience at St. Luke's.

From what I see, I'd say St. Luke's "unique commitment to patient care" stops at the end of the patient's insurance policy.

Furthermore, I'm not exactly sure how killing a patient equates "respect for well-being and life", but I don't think I could find a situation where I would agree with that, either. I didn't buy it with Sciavo, and I don't buy it now.

I guess the Hippocratic Oath means nothing to these people ...

RWR

Good coverage of this case is available at blogsforterri.com, RWN, prolifeblogs.com, and DemocraticUnderground, where Andrea's sister frequently posts.

Update: I called St. Luke's this afternoon. Naturally, I was directed to a voicemail. I politely said my piece and hung up. I must have been a fool to assume that with all the publicity this case is drumming up they might actually answer the phone. Phht. If they do cut off Ms. Clark's life support, I hope they go out of business from the malpractice suits.